Table of Contents
A Test for the Languages of Canada
One of the requirements that are necessary for immigration to Canada is a knowledge of the English or French language. In order to be considered and have your application reviewed, you will need to take a certified language test. As a certified immigration consultant, we want you to be aware of what the language needs are for immigration to Canada under certain programs.
You can learn English in your home country if you need improvement. There are also abundant online classes to take. In fact, you can take a reference test for spelling or other test on the Language Portal of Canada. If you feel that you already have an expert command of the English language, take this test for fun.
Why a Test is a Need
The government of Canada wants you to be proficient before making a move to our country. It will be easier to adapt to the way of life in Canada if you can communicate well. Your ability to speak the language will be used in schools, workplaces, stores and in other public locations. Moreover, you will feel more comfortable and relaxed in situations where you want to know what is happening. The test will be a benchmark as to your progress in the language.
There are three language tests. They are the following:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP)
The TOEFL is the test if you will be entering a college or university. The IELTS is the most common test for English.
The test that are a need for the French language include the following:
- Test d’évaluation de français (TEF)
- Diplôme d’études en langue française (DELF)
What is the IELTS?
The Intenational English Language Testing System is the most common test. You may improve your language skills even before you arrive. You can also improve after you arrive, by taking classes, as long as you can meet the requirement for your immigration application. Proving that you have decent English skills is necessary for immigration to Canada.
How you can register for the test
You can find a testing center near where you live. Then register for the test through a download of the application form. You will receive confirmation in the mail with the time and date of your test.
The Meaning of the IELTS Scores
This is how the test is scored:
- 9 – Expert. You have full command of the English language with appropriate understanding, accuracy and fluency
- 8 – Very good. There may be occasional inaccuracies and unsystematic usage. The test taker has full command of the English language.They handle complex and detailed argumentation well. Some unfamiliar situations may cause some misunderstanding
- 7 – Good. You have operational command of the language, though with occasional inaccuracies, inappropriate usage and misunderstandings in some situations. You generally handle complex language well and understand detailed reasoning
- 6 – Competent. The test taker has an effective command of the language despite some inaccuracies. There may also be inappropriate usage and misunderstandings. They can use and understand fairly complex language, particularly in familiar situations
- 5 – Modest. The test taker has a partial command of the language and copes with overall meaning in most situations, although they are likely to make many mistakes. They should be able to handle basic communication in their own field
- 4 – Limited. The test taker’s basic competence is limited to familiar situations. They frequently show problems in understanding and expression. They are not able to use complex language
- 3 – Extremely limited. The test taker conveys and understands only general meaning in very familiar situations. There are frequent breakdowns in communication
- 2 – Intermittent. The test taker has great difficulty understanding spoken and written English
- 1 – Non-user. The test taker has no ability to use the language except a few isolated words
If there is a 0 score, the test taker should go no further. They will need to improve their English skills. Tests will be given in writing, reading, speaking and listening.
Your immigration program will determine the CLB level that you need, whether in English or in French, whichever is your primary language. Tests are in English or French.
To measure English, the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) is used. To measure French, the Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadien (NCLC) is used.
What Are the Needed Language Scores For Programs?
If you are participating in the Express Entry Program, you will need the following language skills. The occupational code (NOC) may have a bearing on the language,skills that your will need. The numbers listed are those of Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) benchmarks.
Federal Skilled Trades Program You will need a CLB of 5 for speaking and listening. A CLB of 4 is acceptable for reading and writing. These requirements are for English or French.
Canadian Experience Class You will need a CLB of 7 if your classification is NOC A or 0. If your NOC is B, you will need a CLB of 5.
These are the language requirements only. There will be other requirements in each type of program.
Find Out More
There are many programs to help you make Canada your home. They range from Business Class in the different provinces to study programs to family immigration to Canada as well as the Express Entry and Federal Skilled Workers program.
Whether you are a “language buff” or have a basic knowledge of English or French, you may want to know more about emigrating to Canada.
Help Where Needed
As certified immigration consultants, we can help you with honest and knowledgeable services for immigration as well as legal services. We speak many languages and are a notary public who can assist with documentation as well as help our clients with questions concerning law or insurance. Contact us to learn more about our services and how we can help you make Canada your home. See you soon and à bientôt!