What Do You Need And How To Visit Canada With a Visitor Visa

What Do You Need And How To Visit Canada With a Visitor Visa

Home - Consultant - What Do You Need And How To Visit Canada With a Visitor Visa

Visit Canada With a Visitor Visa

Love the idea of visiting Canada? Perhaps you want to visit because you are thinking of migrating to Canada. Are you planning a family holiday here? Canada offers the visitor a host of sports, scenic vistas and fun. Visiting family and friends during the holiday season might be a goal, even with the cooler Canadian winters. Read further to learn about the Super Visa for parents and grandparents of Canadian residents and citizens; reuniting with family is always fun.

Winter brings to Canada an array of events. Are you a hockey fan? Enjoy skiing or snowshoeing? We have them all. If you are planning on visiting Canada, however, you will need to have a visitor visa. As a certified immigration consultant, we want you to have the information that you need.

You may be travelling to Canada for business. Having the right paperwork will ensure that your entrance into our country goes smoothly. Your time is important, so delays due to a visa are not desirable. There are many business opportunities that are part of Canada, so you want to be ready to take advantage of them.

What Is a Visitor Visa?

This document is for people who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents. It is for those who are legally authorized to enter the country. They may be on holiday, conducting business or visiting family. It is sometimes called a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), and length of stay is restricted.

An important consideration is that this document must be obtained before you visit Canada, not during your stay after your arrival.

Many travelers will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly into a Canadian airport. They may also need it if transiting through the airport.

What Is a Visa-required Traveller?

Not planning on staying in Canada? Travelling through on your way to somewhere else? If you are stopping in Canada for less than 48 hours, you will still need a visitor visa. Those staying longer than 48 hours will also need one.

You may not be flying but are crossing the border by another means. This includes the following:

  • Train
  • Car
  • Bus
  • Boat
  • Cruise ship

What is a transit visa?

If you’re on an international flight which stops in Canada, you will need this. If you have a connection between two flights and it lands at a Canadian airport, this will be necessary. If you don’t have a valid visitor visa or will be going through Canada for less than 48 hours, you will still need a transit visa.

What Is Required For a Visitor Visa or TRV?

There are certain requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations when you are in Canada temporarily. You must meet the following requirements:

  • Have proof that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay
  • Show that you have funds for yourself and family and enough for your return
  • Not want to study or work in Canada without authorization
  • Have no record of criminal activity and are law abiding
  • Must not a security risk
  • Provide additional documents if needed
  • Are in good health and will take a medical exam if required

Family Members Visiting Together

Family members need to apply separately, but payment for all can be together. You may need to know some of the common terms for family members. They may be on forms before and after you enter Canada.

Spouse – two persons, either same or different gender, who are legally married.

Common-law partner – two persons, either same or different gender, who live together and have done so for a year or more. There is some form of commitment.

Dependent children – children who are under the age of 22 years and do not have a common-law partner or spouse.

Dependent child of a dependent child – children of dependent children of the applicant.

All members of the family, including your spouse and children, must meet the necessary requirements for the Visitor Visa.

The Super Visa: For Parents and Grandparents of Canadians

Did you know that there is a separate visa for parents and grandparents of Canadian residents and citizens? It is the Super Visa. It will allow you to enter and leave Canada multiple times. You may stay in Canada up to two years with this document.

It is only for the parents and grandparents. If your children want to come with you, they must apply separately. Your spouse or partner must also apply separately.

A letter or invitation that is written and signed by your children or grandchildren must be submitted. It promises financial support for your whole stay in Canada. Evidence of your relationship to the person as well as medical insurance for a minimum of a year is required.

Minors traveling alone

If your child or grandchild is traveling alone to visit a Canadian citizen or resident, they must have a letter of authorization and the name of the person responsible for them while in Canada.


Documents may be translated in English or French. They must be translated by a certified translator or with an affidavit that shows proof of translation knowledge. A certified copy of the document may be needed.

Translations may not be done by family members or the applicant themselves. A notary public or commissioner of oaths may be of help in proof of translation.

Find Out More

At Canada Safe Haven Immigration Consulting, we are certified consultants who can help you with the visitor visa. We can answer your questions and aid in document preparation.

Visiting Canada is a privilege for those from other countries who are welcomed here. You want to be sure all your documents are in order, and if others are travelling with you, their visas are also valid. We speak different languages and can aid you in your application.

Contact us to learn more about the visitor visa and super visa as well as other applications. Whether it’s permanent documents, residency or citizenship, we have the information and welcome your questions.