Bringing Your Family To Canada - Canada Family Sponsorship

Bringing Your Family Together

Home - Consultant - Bringing Your Family Together

Bringing Your Family Together

Do you have family that is back home or outside of Canada? Miss them and want to see them live nearby? Did you know that even if you are not a citizen of Canada, you may still be able to sponsor them? If you are a permanent resident or citizen of our country, you may be able to make it easier for them to live here, with the help of the family class program.

Is the Family Sponsor Program For You?

You may ask, can I bring my parents to Canada permanently , In order to meet the requirements for this program, you must be over the age of 18 years old. You must be registered as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or be a permanent resident or be a citizen of Canada. Relatives must also meet certain conditions for sponsorship.

Are they any of the following? These are the categories:

  • Dependent child
  • Spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner
  • Mother or father
  • Grandmother or grandfather
  • Brother, sister, nephew, niece, or grandchild whose parents are not living; they must be under 18 years of age and not married or be in a common-law relationship

Related by blood or adoption

If you don’t have a close living relative you can sponsor, you may be able to sponsor someone, such as an aunt and her family. Only their dependent child can be included in the application; otherwise this other child, older than the age of 18, will need to immigrate on their own.

What Are the Conditions?

If you sponsor a relative to come to Canada as a permanent resident, there are certain conditions which you must meet to be their sponsor. What are they?

You must be able to financially support them upon their arrival

You must be able to provide food, shelter and clothing for them as well as for yourself

You will have to be sure that they will not need a course of social assistance from Canada

How Much Does It Cost?

There are two categories of Canada’s fees . If you sponsor a child, the cost will be from $150. If the person you sponsor is over the age of 22 years old, they will be considered an adult. The cost for an adult will be from $1,050.

Some Advice For Family Immigration to Canada

Before arrival, to be prepared, they may find mandatory travel information at ArriveCAN; there is a free mobile app, and it is available in French, English and Spanish. They can also watch this video as preparation for their travel to our country.

Learning the language of Canada

Depending on where they will be living, they will need to have a good command of English or French. Even outside of Quebec, there may be communities in which French is spoken, such as in Ontario, New Brunswick and Manitoba. Quebec is a province where English as well as French is spoken. Day to day living will be easier with a knowledge of one of these languages. Improving language skills with classes is a smart move before moving to Canada.

Your family should do some research before the move, to determine which language they will need to know, once here.

What Papers and Documents  Your immigration consultant will ask for?

Some of the required official documents that they may need to gather include the following:

  • Birth certificates
  • Passports
  • Education diplomas and transcripts
  • Medical and dental records
  • Marriage or divorce certificates
  • Driver’s licenses
  • Adoption records for adopted children
  • Other official documents

It is smart to have these documents before they leave the home country, as it will much more difficult to get them after leaving their home of origin.

Please note: If members of a family, who are coming to Canada, are leaving at a later date, the other family coming should have their paperwork before their arrival, to make their entrance easier.

All documents should be translated into English or French with a certified translation, before family arrives in Canada. A translation agency must have a good reputation, and a sworn paper should be provided by the translator. It must be sworn before a person who has authorization as an administrator of oaths in the home country.

Finding a place to stay

When your family first arrives, they will need a place to stay. It can be temporary until they find a permanent home. You can have them stay with you or other family members who can help them navigate their new country.

If they are staying at a hotel, it will be wise to book several weeks in advance, before leaving the home country. Hotels and hostels have websites, where they can see the prices as well as location. Booking in advance will give them the best prices, but they should be wary of hotels or hostels that are too cheap. These hotels may be in a bad section of town and may not be the best place for your family to experience their first few days in Canada.

Preparing to find work

Your family will want to become self-sufficient through work. Although it may not be an ideal job, the first one in Canada will help them build the qualifications they might need for a better job here.

Before family leaves for Canada

Having all the right documents, before they leave their home country, may be of help. This could include diplomas, certificates and letters of recommendation from former employers. They should be translated into English or French before the trip.

However, they should be aware that their professional qualifications may not be recognized immediately when they get to Canada. Standards might be different in their home country. Some professions, such as healthcare, are regulated in Canada, and a new license or certificate may be a need. Although most professions in our country are not regulated, there are some that are.

Buying private health insurance

Although Canada has universal healthcare coverage, there may be a waiting period before it becomes effective. They will want to have coverage when they arrive, so buying private coverage, before they leave, is smart.


many questions comes to your mind now, Can I bring my family to Canada on work permit ? or, how to sponsor someone to Canada ? A Certified Immigration Consultant Can Help, If you or family members need answers to questions about immigration to Canada and family sponsorship, contact us. We can provide answers as well as help with documentation, permanent residency and citizenship.